and you will be loved
Close your eyes and we can float away,
All alone through this crowded place.
veni, vidi, vici.
Monday, July 13, 2009 | 10:12 PM | 0 comments
"Come away with me
Hold my hand as we fly
Spread your wings, intertwine your fingers with mine
We'll stay here and watch the world rushing by."


After the euphoria wore off, I guess it was only logical that a wave of emotion hit me. It all started with me cleaning out the memories box I've dutifully filled since I was thirteen. It amazes me at what a kleptomaniac I am, still keeping cards from New Years that happened maybe five years ago?

You'll never know how good it felt to sort through all those cards and letters. All those books that in primary school, you would fill up with your autobiography and contact details (with no worries about stalkers either!), and I remember that your level of popularity was calculated by how many books you filled. I was paging through the pages, and I concluded that I wasn't the most popular kid in school, but hey. I remember being happy, nevertheless.

Then I stumbled across old New Year cards, from MGSians and my other friends alike. And from there, the memories flowed. Letters in Form One that I wrote to Dani, Ame, and Megan about Seth, gushing about how he was staring at me and whatnot. It sounded so immature to my ears... it actually made me blush. =P
I hope I've matured since then. But then, I highly doubt it. =)

There were memories all over the place. Short little bookmarks/cards Kai wrote for me during MSSPP for no good reason (because she was so nice and sweet that way), keychains from the randomest of places (don't know how a bowling pin keychain got into my box), harry Potter momentos from Uncle Pat, birthday cards from dinosaur ages (I am actually that old...)...

It's amazing. Every single article I took out I could tell you the history behind it.

And then, I hit the part that almost made me cry.

I got to the part where I stumbled across all the letters and cards I received when I was about to leave. Somewhere along the lines of my busy life, I had absolutely forgotten that there was concrete, living proof that there were people who knew me and loved me for who I am. People who had accepted me into their lives (weird as I was and crazy/lazy as I was) long before any of my US friends had.

And rereading their letters/notes/cards made me hop down a 'bunny trail' as Marshall called it as I sat on my bed and reminisced about the things that had brought us together, torn us apart and brought us together again. I remembered the many times of laughter we shared (okay, not ALL of it since there was so much), and I remembered the times of tears we shed together. I remembered the things I got so mad about and the things that I vowed never ever to speak about again, only to bring it up five minutes later in passing.

And then it hit me, just exactly how much i miss you guys.
I miss everything. From the running around school like a headless chicken to trying to organize things to not freaking out about exams till the last minute to kiasuing after the exams where we would compare answers!
I missed everything, and I suddenly had a desperate longing to go home, where I belonged.

I kept going. What else could I do? I came across the birthday cards from you guys, and then I came across more farewell notes...
Then I got to the most recent additions to my box: the NYLC documents and my birthday cards from my friends here.
NYLC brought back so many memories. Its been a month since I started it, and it's sad that I still rememebr every single detail about it. The friendships we formed really did last well into a month after the whole thing...some not in as good shape as others, but friends nonetheless.

Then I looked at the birthday cards, and I couldn't help but smile at what Adora had put together- a montage of signatures that was just "a small sample of my friends", as she had told me at the time. Sure, I might not know these crazy Americans yet. But I have three more years to go with them!

Well, all in all, only that old Brownie saying holds true.
"Make new friends, and keep the old;
One is silver- the other, gold."

So what was the point of this whole crazy ramble post?
Nothing.
Just to let you know that I really do
miss you guys, and after exams, YOU PEOPLE SHOULD EMAIL ME SO I CAN LET YOU KNOW WHAT'S SHAKING IN THE PEPPER SHAKER.
...that made no sense!!! but whatever. =)

"Come away with me
And we can choose to walk away
To another world where we belong together
Because honey, I miss you more day by day."


Older Post | Newer Post