and you will be loved
Close your eyes and we can float away,
All alone through this crowded place.
Butterflies.
Friday, November 7, 2008 | 9:14 PM | 0 comments
So, I just came back from the autism center, because I have autism.

*skips a beat*

Nah, just kidding.
Although I bet Hui would be all, "Well, that explains a lot of things about her..."

But seriously, I just got back from the autism center, where I hang out with all these people with learning diabilities.
And after spending four days with them, I can't help but feel these deep feelings of sorrow welling up within me.
I mean, these are people. They talk, breathe, laugh, like the rest of us, it's just that they do it at wrong times..

And it just makes me feel so helpless. I mean, they have all this talent boiling in them, just waiting to burst through the surface, and they can't release it. Like, I know this woman, Wanda, who can paint so beautifully, words do no justice...but she can't communicate very well. She has a hard time putting her thoughts into words, and she takes an hour to do a two question piece of homework. She can't stand loud noises, and she has to repeat what people say before she understands it.
Ellen loves looking at pictures, but she can't speak very well.
Sato, who's genius at badminton, but can't speak a word, or rather she's too shy and there's something wrong with her throat anyway.
Joey, who's so sweet like a teddy bear, but has the mind of a three year old.
Jeff can dance to the music, but he literally flees if you approach him.

And so many more.
It's like there's this butterfly trapped inside them, you know? It's like it's desperately fluttering inside its cocoon, waiting for the day when it can finally break free and soar into the sky.
But it can't.
And that's what saddens me.
I'm so used to seeing all of us doing what we want, when we want.
I'm so used to hearing people tell me I can soar if I want to, but I never really thought of the people who can't, even though they want to.

Life is just ironic that way, I guess.

Older Post | Newer Post