Wednesday, April 16, 2008 | 10:03 PM | 0 comments
So I was thinking today.Yes, Sam Chong was thinking. Everybody faint, now!
*the world will end soon*
Picture this:
On SUnday, I went for this new youth, but the youth room is like really small, and when I poked my head in all I saw were guys.
I'm outgoing, but hello, I'm not that outgoing. I don't just walk into a room full of stange guys and start up a conversation. So to make a long story short and so I can get to my point and finish this thoughtful post...
I stood outside and looked lonely.
Works everytime..
Then this girl was nice enough to take me under her wing and bring me into her youth room and introduce me and all. And hey. The guys were nice once you got to know them...the girls? Maybe not so much, but friendly enough.
Today I went to ValleyChristian High to see what school was like and to follow some girl around for a day. And it was sooo much fun, I couldn't believe it! The people were so friendly and they just basically made you feel welcome and not a stranger at all.
Example#1:
The girl I got paired with, Victoria, she was awesome. She took me around the school with NO COMPLAINT and didn't even get annoyed with me when I kept blasting her with questions. And her friends? Just terrific.
Example #2:
This guy came up to me and was like, "Hey, are you shadow?"
Like, uh?
So I just basically stared at him before going, "Um, I'm not shadow. I'm Sam?"
And he goes, "Oh, great. I'm Nathaniel."
Kinda reminded me of Nathania. Who owes me a protractor. HA.
And then he turned to Victoria and was all, "Hey, you should pick up some tips from Sam. She's nice. Treat her well."
And I sat there and was like, "And you've known me for....how long?"
But they were cool.
Oh, and they keep asking me how many languages I know. And if I speak Malaysian. Which, obviously, I do not, because Malaysian isn't a language. And they were so fascinated by the fact that I could speak Chinese and write Chinese and a smattering of some other languages.
Like, I could speak more Korean than...the Korean girl.
Point is.
We don't do this half the time in M'sia. Sometimes when new people come in, we just huddle in our own groups and basically, we aren't very receptive to the whole new person thing. Admittedly, not a lot of us actually DARE to step out and do our thang and make somebody feel welcome. We just basically smile a lot, huddle closer together, keep the poor kid out in the cold, and bam, we never see them again.
I mean, not ALL of us do this. But we all do sometimes, actually. Thankfully, not all of us teenagers do this: my class definitely doesn't: they made us newbies feel welcome. =). Thanks, btw...
But sometimes, we really face this problem. We don't dare to break our bubble, don't dare to step out of the ring of friends. We don't dare to leave the comfort zone just to talk to that stranger kid all the way over across the room. IN fact, sometimes, once we're in a group, I notice that we tend to not care about other groups so much and stick closer together. Yes, it fosters brotherhood and friendships and bonds and what not, but in life, we don't just stick to ONE group; we need lots of variations and different types of people to survive.
Most kids here in America, I have noticed, dare to step out more; dare to take a risk. Well, almost all the risks that don't concern drugs, most of the time...haha. They tend to notice the loner across the room and try to make him/her feel welcome. They tend to try and bring the person into the warmth instead of the frigid cold...okay, I shall lay off Charles Dickens now.
That's what we need to do. We need to be more outgoing, more like what Malaysians are 'advertised' to be. We need to prove that we're not all just talk about harmony and friendships and whatnot. We need to mix with other 'cliques' and establish new friendships instead of relying on our old friends all the time.
Because sometimes, the people who you thought you knew the best, they let you down.
It's a fact of life.
And sometimes, the people who you trust just barely, they turn out to be the best confidantes you could ever have.
It's weird. But I think that's how it goes.
Wow. My brain hurts from all that thinking.
Random fact: SamChong is now addicted to the Jonas Brother's song Year 3000.
BLAM, RANDOM.



